[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD's in a Mythvideo-compatible way?

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Tue Sep 7 20:32:08 EDT 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> All the IMDB stuff is stored in Myth's database. It isn't grabbed
> automatically, you have to say "look up this movie" in the video manager
> UI. The lookup is based on the file name (minus anything inside "( )"
> and stuff after a ".", see examples below), so yeah, name the files
> exactly as they ought to be on IMDB and they should be found. I have a
> few that required manual intervention, but most of the info for my
> movies was found no problem.

Yeah, I figured this out - it's much easier than I expected! The importing
would be an extremely nice feature to have integrated into MythWeb at some
point - I may take a hack at it.

The one oddity I have run into is the movie poster that it grabs - for a
couple (older) movies, the poster on IMDB's main page is different than
the one MythTV grabs - it's usually like a spanish-language version of the
page. I've noticed this with F/X, F/X 2, and Spaceballs so far. Easy
enough to fix - I just save the image from the main page as the IMDB
number.

> File: Analyze_That.avi
> Search string: Analyze That
>
> (not positive on the last one, all mine have actual spaces now...)

It does convert underscores to spaces. I hate spaces.  :)