[mythtv-users] Can apt-get upgrade break an install?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Sep 7 11:47:23 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 05:47, Dave Bush wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:45:11 -0400, David Lyons <djlyons1 at cox.net> wrote:
> > That being said, as a newbie, should I be more careful about running the
> > above commands for fear that it may break something mythtv requires.
>
> Depends - what version of Debian are you running? I'm guessing it's
> not Debian stable. Debian testing is less likely to break from
> "apt-get"ing a file or update. Debian unstable does have a better
> chance of a dependancy problem but (knock on wood) I haven't had much
> trouble with running Debian unstable for the past 9 months. Prior to
> that I used either Red Hat or Mandrake, and while urpmi was okay in
> Mandrake it was no apt-get.

He's running Fedora Core, not Debian. apt is available for most (all?)
rpm-based distros now, and its the main way most RH/FC users are
upgrading/deploying software on their Myth boxes.

> I will now step back and pray that I didn't start a distro flame war
> which I would expect to be the FC/RH/MDK folks telling me I'm wrong
> and things are much better now. ;)

Nope, no flaming. Just updating you with the facts. :-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...