[mythtv-users] Re: Re: Cannot set a recording

Tyler Drake pcjabber at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 23:16:38 EDT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:18:38 -0400, Donavan Stanley <geckofiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 18:38:34 -0400, Michael J. Sherman
> <msherman at dsbox.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > The problem is not just the lack of left/right indicators.  I think the
> > whole style is not quite right and not intuitive.
> >
> > I understand that you want to justify the new interface style; that's
> > natural for any developer.  At work I'll justify code changes till I'm
> > blue in the face, but that doesn't mean they're always right.  Sometimes
> > a change isn't always for the better, and my *opinion* is that this
> > change is for the worse.  But that's just my opinion.  I've only been
> > developing user-facing software for 6 years now, so what do I know?
>
> If I had invented the design out of whole-cloth I'd be concerned with
> "justifying" it.  But I didn't just invent some new UI paradigm.  I
> emulated one thats already gone through usability testing and numerous
> focus groups. While appreciate your opinion, code speaks louder than
> words.  If you've got a better idea by all means implement it.  I
> capable of seperating myself from the code I write.  And since we're
> waving around our development histories, I've been writing code
> professionaly for somewhere in the region of 12 years sonny. ;)

Personally, I like the new interface. Slap a couple of arrows on it,
and it looks nearly like TiVo's recording screen. And you can't tell
me that's not intuitive =).  It's easy to use. Besides, Isaac wanted
to whittle down the necessary button count for a Myth remote to
something like 9 or 10. When this sort of thing is finished, you'll
just need:
- Up (Ch+), Down(Ch-), Left, Right (4)
- Select (1)
- Vol+/Vol-, Mute (3)
- Menu, Info (2)
And go back (esc) won't even be needed because of the L/R navigation
system and the cancel buttons in the interface =) So 10 buttons would
be enough to run an entire system =)

> > With that I'll just shut up now.  I think I've tried to lay out my case
> > as to why I think that new style is bad.  If you choose not to agree,
> > that's fine!  In the spirit of open-source software I'm lending a voice
> > to try to improve the product.  Please don't take this any other way.  I
> > love my Myth box quite a bit, and have "converted" four friends to also
> > set one up for themselves.  There's so much potential in MythTV that I
> > just want to make sure nothing detracts from the amazing software.
>
> As I said above, code speaks louder than words.  If you don't like
> something, then as a developer change it and submit a patch.

Well stated.  Especially since the one that doesn't like it is a
developer.  A non-developer would have more trouble, obviously, but
being a developer allows him to make a patch ;-)

Just my $0.02.

--Tyler