[mythtv-users] lirc and mythtv

Cedric Tefft cedric at phreaker.net
Sun Sep 5 01:48:07 EDT 2004

Verteiler wrote:

> Ok, I have double checked all the settings but haven't found the
> problem yet. When checking whether lircd ist running using "service
> lircd status" everything looks fine (tells me that lircd is running ...).
> I have mythtv backend and frontend running on one machine and when I
> do an "irw" and check whether it is receiving any keypressed events
> this works as well:
>
> 00000000000017e5 01 OK hauppaugegrey
>
> But Mythtv does not seem to get the information.
>
> Any more suggestions?

Check /var/log/lircd.  You should see something like this when
mythfrontend starts:

Sep  4 22:03:42 myth lircd 0.7.0pre7: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

and something like this when mythfrontend exits:

Sep  4 22:03:02 myth lircd 0.7.0pre7: removed client

You should see the same thing when irw starts and ends.  If you do see
these messages with irw, but not with mythfrontend, my suspicion would
be that myth is not compiled with lirc support.  If you do see these
messages with myth, try the next test:

Temporarily rename your ~/.mythtv/lircrc file to something else, start
mythfrontend in the foreground, and look at the output.  You should see
something like this:

2004-09-04 22:17:47 mythfrontend version: 0.15.20040528-1 www.mythtv.org
2004-09-04 22:17:47 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
mythtv: could not open config file /home/myth/.mythtv/lircrc
mythtv: No such file or directory
Failed to read lirc config /home/myth/.mythtv/lircrc for mythtv
2004-09-04 22:17:48 Registering Internal as a media playback plugin.

The presence of this error message is another way to verify myth has
lirc support compiled in.  Also you can use it to make sure you've put
your lircrc file where myth is actually looking for it.

If all that works out OK (don't forget to put your lircrc file back to
its original name), sanity-check at least one of the keys in your lircrc
file:

begin
    prog = mythtv
    button = Ch+
# This is the "up" on the central diamond
    repeat = 2
    config = Up
end

Then check it against your keybindings in the database:

% mysql -u mythtv -p****** mythconverg

mysql> select * from keybindings where keylist = 'Up';
+-------------+-----------+-------------+---------+----------+
| context     | action    | description | keylist | hostname |
| Global      | UP        | Up Arrow    | Up      | myth     |
| TV Playback | CHANNELUP | Channel up  | Up      | myth     |
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

And finally, start mythfrontend, press the up-arrow key on your
keyboard, and verify that myth actually does what you think it's
supposed to do when you hit the CH+ (up arrow) button on your remote.

- Cedric