[mythtv-users] Looking for your experience

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 4 01:08:00 EDT 2004

On 09/03/2004 10:43 PM, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

>>DVD-ROM: How fast to emulate a store bought DVD player?
>>

>1X   :-)    You'll want a faster one only if you want to rip DVDs to your harddrive.
>Otherwise, no matter. I don't think you can buy one now that is too slow just to play
>DVD videos.

So, have any of the people who are saying all you need is a 1X DVD-ROM
ever tried playing a DVD on one?

I have a 6X DVD-ROM and a 1X DVD-ROM.  The 1X does not do smooth
playback because the DVD-ROM can only pull data off the disk at the
exact speed it must be played back; therefore, any interruption in
reading (caused by other processes on the system--even X is enough to
cause it) causes a jump/pause in playback (jump for skipped frames or
pause without).  Enough to ruin the movie?  No.  Enough to drive you
crazy?  Definitely.

I've configured my 6X to run at no more than 4x (lower noise), and it's
able to read faster than data is required.  Therefore, it reads ahead to
ensure it's never lacking data.  From the config file:

# read-ahead caching
# bool, default: 1
#input.dvd_use_readahead:1

With the 6X, I get silky smooth playback.  Therefore, my suggestion:
get at least a 2X DVD-ROM.  (Yes, I know that it's nearly impossible to
buy a 1X DVD-ROM today, but it's important that the truth is out there. ;)

Mike