[mythtv-users] Looking for your experience

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Fri Sep 3 19:33:32 EDT 2004

Aaron,

   I did not know you where looking for quiet when I sent my brain dump.
Sorry about that. I really did not care much about how loud the machine
was when I built it. I used a Shuttle SK41G Case/FX-53 Mobo for the
one, which is decently quiet in my opinion, but can get loud when it is
transcoding with nuvexport, as it pegs the CPU and the main fan spins
up. The other machine is in a Mini ATX case made by Chenbro with an MSI
K7N2M mobo. I think it is the Hornet if I recall. Check out
http://www.chenbro.com.tw/product/product.jsp?p=1&s=104&pid=66 . I
could only find the yellow bezel version locally, which I promptly took
the yellow off with 3M ScotchBrite and polished up with Novus plastic
polish. It is fairly quiet, although the little 60MM fan in the back of
the case died after a couple of months and I had to replace it. I use
AMD Retail CPUs and the included heat sinks, as well as the stock power
supplies which came with the cases, all of which seem to be fairly
quiet to me. I usually do not notice the sound of the machine while
watching TV, but I do notice the machines when I am doing other things
in the room.
   I do work in a conditioned machine room with many servers alot, so
maybe my definition of loud is messed up. So, take my definition of
loud with a grain of salt. Also, excuse my rambling, I am home sick
today and feel rather strange.