[mythtv-users] Looking for your experience

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Fri Sep 3 18:32:21 EDT 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 23:23, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> apart from the flaming, you made a good point - I wasn't thinking
> about the fact that TV sound is, in fact, simple crappy stereo.  now
> it "clicked" so-to-speak

If it was a flame, it wasn't really directed at you but rather in general; you
may have noticed that the question "What is the Best hardware for a Myth box"
appears at least 4 times per week on this list, and at least one of those
four gets spun into a 20+ post thread either going offtopic or drowning in
details like how to fold or melt your PVR350 card to fit it inside yet
another new smaller-than-small uber-casing...
So, don't take it personal; it really wasn't meant to be.

Incidentally, if you search the mail archives you will find a plethora of
posts and useful info on the exact question(s) you just posed.
If you don't want to search there, I understand; few do, and that is precisely
why we're having this problem (and this conversation)...  :-(

> and to answer the first question, this is for a small apartment.  I'm
> doing a single box install, front/back ends combined.  noise is also a
> big issue.  the cost, however, is not.  so I'm planning on building up
> a decent box which can handle things on it's own, but also stay quiet
> (no I'm not going to water cool it... I don't care THAT much).

Okay, so now we are getting somewhere.  Because my complaint was nothing else
than a -badly worded- plea for more details from posters, you understand.
So, it is a front & backend and situated in the livingroom. Very good.
Next question: Do you want it [fitting] together with your Hi-fi equipment or
do you just plan to shove it in a corner where it's inconspicuous ?
  Case 1: look at the Pundit, and Shuttle maybe, and some neat cases from
Antec (and many many others).
  Case 2: look at cases with BIG fans (120mm) since the bigger the fan is, the
quieter it is [or at least, can be made].

Like I said, I can recommend the SLK370BQE from Antec.  Not expensive at all
(by comparison), and reasonably quiet and with a superb finish (meaning
craftsmanship, not outer look per se)

And well, about the sound and DVD issue... sorry, but you could have guessed
that yourself. The "speed" of a DVD and / or CD are just that; they're
relative speeds measured to the original equipment speed, i.e. the video /
audio content they were meant for.  Higher speed can be useful for ripping /
copying but thay mean nothing when just playing [video] content. And indeed,
the faster, the louder.  You should hear my 52x speed CDrom.  It is louder
than my 6-disk 5-fan server in the basement.  Really terrible. Really.
When spinning up it sometimes sounds like a helicopter is lifting off inside
my computer. Well, it did.  I scrapped the bastard a while ago.

Please heed my advice on disk size.  I have a 160 GB drive that has been 99%
full since last june and it gets more and more painful to delete shows to
make room for newer stuff...  Or maybe that's just me.  But consider yourself
warned about that.  There is _always_ stuff you will want to keep, even if it
is only some CNN news item or MTV clip (or, heaven forbid, Oprah...)

Good luck with the choices you make,
Maarten  :-)