[mythtv-users] Looking for your experience

Dr NoName spamacct11 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 15:57:45 EDT 2004

> Hey all,
> I must first admit, I am a newbie to MythTV,
> although that's not my
> reason for this.  I'm going to use you all for your
> experience in
> dealing with the hardware side of this...
> Anyway, I'm looking for some advice on the *BEST*
> hardware setup...
> the cost isn't that much of an issue....

Just to forewarn you: you'll run into *lots* of
problems. I have an almost-working setup and you
wouldn't believe how much stupid problems I've
encountered just to get this far.

> Current Plan->
> TV-in: PVR-250
> TV-out: No clue...I have an All-in-wonder so I need
> to buy a new one

apparently GeForce MX is very popular. I have a spare
old ATI card that I want to try first.

> Processor: Most likely AMD 2000-3000 or something

I have 2400XP

> Case/Mobo/Form Factor: Anyone research this and find
> something really
> cool that's not a Shuttle (too expensive for what
> you get)?

Ah, yeah :-) That's what I'll be getting:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15728

> Hard Drives: How much, how snappy? I'll probably be
> recording about
> 1-2hours a day and deleting it after I watch

dunno. I guess I'll end up setting up a RAID at some
point. But start small. You don't need a lot of I/O
speed. PVR-250 outputs already-compressed mpeg2 stream
at max rate of 12Mbits/s (that's 1.5MB/s). But you'll
probably want to set the bitrate at much less than
that.

> Sound Card: I'm assuming Audigy 2 Platinum, anything
> better?

what's wrong with on-board sound? Mine does 5.1 for an
extra cost of $0.

> DVD-ROM: How fast to emulate a store bought DVD
> player?

uhhm, 1x. (i.e. anything will do)

hope this helps,

Eugene