[mythtv-users] Re: resolution, bit rate, transcoding

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Sep 3 12:38:45 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 09:20:56AM -0700, Dr NoName wrote:

> I have Hauppage PVR-250 and I'm wondering what the
> best settings are for capture resolution and bitrate.

Well, since you've neglected to say what your critria are for
"best", you're going to get useless answers.

I say "best" is  480x480 with 3:2 aspect ratio with 2200 avg
and 6600 max KBPS.

> I am planning to hook up the mythtv box to my tv eventually.
> This is a regular format (non-wide screen) tv. Will 720x480
> give me black border?

Actually, I thought that a '250 would only capture in 480x480
3:2 mode?

> From what I read, my video card (ATI Rage LT) supports
> only 640x480 and 800x600 TV out. Will this be a
> problem? I want the output to be full screen.

Are you still asking about capture resolution?

> I want to be able to cut out the commercials. However,
> from what I read, mythtv will also convert the source
> video to mpeg4 when doing that.

Only if you tell it to transcode.

> Will that not decrease quality? What is the optimal bitrate
> for capturing (PVR-250 mpeg2)

"Optimal" varies depending on criteria.

--
Grant Edwards