[mythtv-users] Re: Does MythTV Obviate a DVD Player?

Chris Vargas ceenvee at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 10:00:27 EDT 2004

--- myth at dgreaves wrote:

> I'm keeping my DVD player around. I've seen some
> DVDs with really complex structures which seem to
> have sections too small to crack the CSS. I wonder
> whether this is why the LOTR mentioned earlier wont
> play? I have one disc (can't remember off the top
> of my head) that *won't* play on xine/ogle etc etc
> and works fine on HW DVD.

I have run across discs like that: the one I know of
for sure is my copy of "Spirited Away." Works fine on
hardware DVDs, does not work with my xine and
appropriate libraries installed.

I'm also very happy with the results with xine
(especially with post-processing filters), but am not
exactly ready to pack up my regular DVD player. In
addition to the DeCSS issues, I am also seeing white
horizontal lines appearing during playback. These are
_not_ interlacing artifacts but something completely
different. No idea what they are or how to
troubleshoot them.