[mythtv-users] NTSC ModeLine

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Sep 2 19:41:46 EDT 2004

 	It's more complicated than that (of course!).  The 480 is required
(well, actually 525 total scanlines.. lots of 'em blank) for NTSC.  The 640 is
*NOT* a specification, but rather the resolution at which the aspect ratio is
4:3 just like NTSC.  Only horizonal frequency (and sync pulse widths) determine
the horizonal resolution for NTSC.

 	Pretty much all tvout cards have some funky hardware to match the video
card's VGA output to the NTSC requirement.  You may be right that it doesn't
have a scaler, so it needs 4:3.  What it most certainly will have (if you're
running it out of a tvout card on svid or composite) is a frame-buffer
resampling.  The NTSC spec requires 29.9Hz/15.7kHz, so it's gotta parse through
the video ram at that speed.

 	My advice on TVOUT cards is use 'em if you got 'em, but you're probably
best off to stick with a standard modeline.  Don't try to get the one that
"matches NTSC," because there is no such thing (except with component out the
VGA port or similar).  Run with an 800x600 (4:3), maybe tweak the
over/underscan if the tvout card will let you customize, and be done with it.
There's too much going on under the scene that you don't have control over to
make it "perfect."

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss							*
* Electrical Engineering Ph.D. Graduate Student                         *
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 			*