[mythtv-users] Re: SOLICITATION: Record/Transcode Parameters Wanted

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 2 16:25:48 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 11:46:27AM -0400, Tony Lill wrote:
> > I can understand why a project in forward motion might resist too much
> > official-looking documentation about how the internals work (right now
> > :-); I'm trying to find a happy meedium.
>
> If there was some documentation, you would probably get more
> contributors. Except for the most trival changes, you'd have to spend
> a considerable amount of time wrapping your mind around the code, and
> by then, someone else may have re-written it anyway...

But, of course, that's part of the problem, as well as part of the
solution.  And you sort of *want* it to be a little hard, at least.
:-)

I'm going to attempt to extract the framework in an automated fashion
whereby it's easier to keep the wiki in track, and we'll see if having
it there helps any.

> >> With that and the schema, I might have a go at fixing the scheduler.
> >
> > The scheduler's broke?  :-)
>
> I just have to resolve "conflicts" that a smarter scheduler should be
> able to do on it's own way to often for my taste. Forcing stuff to a
> different encoder, or bumping stuff to a later timeslot or the like.
> I was thinking of a chess-like algorithm...

Well, Kevin Kuphal is flogging logging, and I've just suggested to him
making it show it's work while scheduling, so maybe you and he should
chat.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi