[mythtv-users] OT: CPU temperatures

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Sun Oct 31 17:54:15 UTC 2004

On Sunday 31 October 2004 11:39, David Whyte wrote:
> Guys,
>
> When I boot up my machine I can see all of the temps during the POST
> etc, but how do I get to view them when I am running FC2?  Is there a
> decent program for that?

Other than the lmsensors package already mentioned, I use the command
'acpi -t' to get a temperature reading.  Caveat is, I'm not using FC but SuSE,
and I'm not sure FC includes the same set of acpi tools as SuSE does.
And of course your whole system should support ACPI (doh). Some boards do,
some don't.  Strangely, my new Asus board doesn't, whereas my old Abit did.
They have the exact same chipset. Go figure.  But it is worth a try, right?

P.S.: Being a cautious guy, I myself tend to go into panic mode whenever I
read temps significantly over 55C.  Normal temp ranges for my overclocked
athlon 2600 are between 44-52C but I do have hefty cooling indeed; a zalman
unit (modded with a 120mm fan) and several 120mm case fans. YMMV.

Maarten