[mythtv-users] Capture card luminance bandwidth (BT8xx and PVR-250)

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Sun Oct 31 17:36:34 UTC 2004

On Sunday 31 October 2004 17:14, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>  	I'm talking about composite.  I know that one should be able to
> get more mileage out of Y/C.  My main reason for investigating this is to
> get a better picture out of a cable TV signal.  Everything else being
> equal, watching TV on the TV I'm using has a significantly better signal
> than watching it through the PVR-250-encoded card.  I know it's not the
> TVOUT part of the equation.

Hi Cory,

I'm using BT8x8 cards and had a very bad picture when compared with what my
VCR or TV spit out.  On a hunch -and because of someone on this list
recommended it- I went out and bought a high quality antenna amplifier +
splitters.  Those were $$ very well spent indeed; my picture now looks better
without any HQ and 4MV filters than it did before (with those filters
enabled). I'm very happy with the quality now.
It is still not as good as TV but it is more than good enough for me.

It seems that a capturecard needs a significant more powerful antenna signal
than the average TV does.  Maybe this helps your PVR too, but I have no
experience with those cards myself.  Try it, if you can...

Maarten