[mythtv-users] Tricks for calibrating X on PVR-350 output

Andrew Plumb aplumb at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 00:40:45 UTC 2004

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd share how I finally got my MythTV UI scaled properly on
the output of my PVR-350, running KDE in FC2:

0.  Fire up kcontrol
0.1  Go to Desktop->Panels->Hiding
0.2  Set "Hide Mode" to "Allow other windows to cover the panel"

1.  In mythfrontend, go to Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance:
1.1  Go Next to the second screen, "Screen settings"
1.2  Check off the "Run the frontend in a window" box
1.3  Make sure "Use GUI size for TV playback is NOT checked
1.4  Restart the mythfrontend (since mine is set up for autologin I
just Ctrl+Alt+Backspace)
1.5  Return to the screen in 1.1
1.6  Play with the GUI width, height, X offset and Y offset until you
can just barely see the lower resizing corners and edge of the upper
window box.
1.7  (optional) Enlarge the width and height by one step (adds 8 to each count)
1.8  (optional) Decrease the X and Y offsets by 4 to re-centre.
1.9  My settings (for my NTSC TV) are the following:
   GUI width (px):  616
   GUI height (px):  456
   GUI X offset:  46
   GUI Y offset:  4

2.  In mythfrontend, go to Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback
2.1  On the 5th screen, "Hardware Decoding Settings", make sure "Use
the PVR-350's TV out/ MPEG decoder" is checked.
2.2  On the 8th screen, "Overscan", set "Vertical over/underscan
percentage" and "Horizontal over/underscan percentage" to a value of
8.  This will resize the overlay when you're watching TV or playing
back video.

Hope this helps!

Andrew.

--

If you don't know what to do, do something.