[mythtv-users] Re: Zap2it - hoting zap's data on another server to lessen the load?

Art Morales bioart at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 17:04:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:29:39 -0700, glen martin <glenm at locutory.org> wrote:
\> One wonders though whether Zap2It would be interested in
> a community-based collaboration here, in which some number
> of hosts could be set up to offload some of their bandwidth,
> and perhaps a capability to download changes instead of the
> whole file every time. 2 orders of magnitude lower bandwidth
> costs. So long as their statistic and survey needs were respected.
> I strongly agree that we need to respect their terms of service,
> Zap2It would have to want and support it.
>
> glen

I think the whole point is not the load on their servers, but the
abuse of the commercial apps on their service per se.  They are
entitled to make money when someone sells a product (even if it is
mythtv based) that uses their service... Their approach is commendable
to the community, and it is annoying that commercial services are
exploiting it (even if it is because of ignorance... hopefully this
letter clarifies it.)

Art