[mythtv-users] Which filesystem deletes large files the fastest?

Aran spin667 at mchsi.com
Sat Oct 30 04:41:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 08:20, Ryan Steffes wrote:

> Is there a good way to switch from ext3 to jfs?  Can someone point me
> toward a howto, most of what I'm finding through Google seems to be up
> to YEARS old.

If you're using LVM, and your filesystems can be resized (and I think
the big 4 all can be), you can just shrink your source partition down as
much as you can, then create a new partition with the new FS out of the
freed space.  Then you move over files until the new partition is full.
Then shrink the original partition further, increasing the new partition
by the same amount, then move files again.  Repeat as necessary.

If that sounds tedious, it would be if your partition was near full.  If
you can delete shows until the partition is only half full, then it
would be pretty painless.

You could also borrow a disk from someone, pvcreate it and add it to
your volume group, make a new FS on it, copy your data, free the
original partition and pvmove the filesystem from the borrowed disk to
the original.

Anyway, if you aren't using LVM this is all moot, but this kind of
manipulation is why I like using LVM on just about everything but
laptops.