[mythtv-users] Overlapping channels and program info duplication

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Oct 30 00:59:39 UTC 2004

Julian Edwards wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I searched the archives but nothing seems appropriate to this
> problem.  I've got two video sources (NTL cable via a PVR-250 and a
> Nova-T DVB card) that have some overlapping channels.
> Currently I have to download two XML files for mythfilldatabase which
> a) means downloading data twice unecessarily, and b) duplicated data
> in mysql.
>
> I have the overlapping channels defined twice, once in each source.  I
> set the callsign and channel number the same so that they don't appear
> twice in the guide.
>
> Is there a better way of doing this or am I stuck with duplicated data?
>
> Thanks,

Why are you worried about the duplicated data?  The XML download is a
minor operation that takes place probably while you are sleeping and the
extra data in the database in miniscule compared to your recordings in
terms of disk usage.  With the dual channel setup, you are able to
record on either card for the overlapping channels which is ideal for
scheduling...

Kevin