[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: 2-way TV splitter/amplifier

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sat Oct 30 00:44:05 UTC 2004

> Does anyone have a source online for a 2-way TV splitter and
> amplifier?
> Currently in my basement I split the signal for basement and upstairs
> and then I have a 4-way splitter/amplifier upstairs but I
> know I can get
> a better signal upstairs by using a combination splitter/amplifier in
> place of the old splitter.
>
> Does such a simple beast exist or should I just drop an
> inline amplifier
> on the upstairs run after the splitter (or would one before
> the splitter
> work just as well?)

I cannot comment about a specific model but as a RF engineer I can tell you
your best bet is to put the amplifier in front of everything else (closest
to the antenna). If you are running cable you should already have enough
signal so a 4, 6 or 8 way (amplified) splitter where the cable comes in will
provide the same signal level to everything in the house.