[mythtv-users] Remote front-end questions

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Fri Oct 29 20:02:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 11:56:12AM -0400, David Levine wrote:
> As far as my permanent front-end hardware goes, I'm curious to hear
> some personal experiences of people who went the X-Box route.  I've
> heard it might actually have a loud fan... is that true?  And how's
> the performance in general?  If not X-Box, what's the lowest end (i.e.
> fanless) Epia board I could get that still performs well w/something
> like MiniMyth (I assume I'll want to get a DC power supply, too)?  If
> I do go the X-Box route, I notice that software-only modifications
> can't be done on the most recent (1.6) boxes, and a modchip is
> required.  Any recommendations as to the simplest chip to install
> (that would still allow gameplay, although I don't care about using
> X-Box Live)?

I'd try and get an older Xbox and going the software route.  The fan
is a bit loud, IMHO, at least on my Xbox.  If you're going to open it
up to put in a chip, replace the fan while you're at it.

I will say, as another responder did, the xbox tv-out is nice.  It's
easily the nicest tv-out I've ever seen and smokes any of the nvidia
cards I've ever tried and the whole thing is now very easy to set up.
Maybe ATI is as nice, I wouldn't no.