[mythtv-users] Remote front-end questions

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 18:38:20 UTC 2004

David,

I'm actually giving up on my XBox as a frontend
myself.  It works quite well, but I'm now starting to
find the fan a bit noisy (this is on a Rev. 1.0 XBox,
which has both a regular exhaust fan, and a fan on the
GPU, if I recall correctly).  The XBox was actually
louder than the not-so-quiet PC next to it (an Antec
Sonata with the stock power supply).  The nice thing
about the XBox though is that it's TV-Out is
excellent, far better than an nVidia TV-Out card, but
not quite as good as a PVR-350.

The modchip that I used is the XBit, it worked fine
with a solderless install for me - but it might not
work on a 1.6 XBox.  It's nice because it has
(unfortunately small) DIP switches that can turn the
chip on/off, as well as select one of six banks for
different flash ROMs.

If you're going to run a remote frontend/backend
setup, one thing that I highly recommend is to make
sure that you have very reliable switches/hubs in your
network.  My Netgear FWG114P is quite flaky, and that
translates to pauses during TV playback sometimes.

-- Joe