[mythtv-users] Re: Crazy VNC idea

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Oct 29 14:11:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 09:51:01PM -0700, Ross Campbell wrote:
> > > ... so I installed vnc and fired up
> > > vnc on my work laptop upstairs.  Once I logged in, I brought
> > > up mythfrontend, and voila!, I was running myth on my laptop
> > > over VNC.  I can do everything, but I have no sound.
>
> vnc is great for remote admin on fast networks. It's good for running
> through mythsetup, but VNC doesn't support xv or sound and it's a
> screenscraper, so you're going to drop a lot of frames.

A common misconception.

Only the *Windows* VNC server screen scrapes, and as of TightVNC 1.3
and UltraVNC, even that's not true anymore: they supply a video driver
interface.

Xvnc is a standalone server that translates directly; it's *much* more
efficient.

My sister has actually watched LiveTV over a cablemodem link.  5 FPS or
so, but it works.

> 1) install dsmyth filters - (http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net), configure
> mythtv to allow remote connections and mythweb/configconf.php to
> stream vides via a myth://1.2.3.4/ like URI - use mythweb on your
> laptop and stream recorded shows via the dsmyth filters - see also
> winmyth (http://winmyth.sourceforge.net)

This is, however, quite intruguing; thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"You know: I'm a fan of photosynthesis as much as the next guy,
	but if God merely wanted us to smell the flowers, he wouldn't
	have invented a 3GHz microprocessor and a 3D graphics board."
					-- Luke Girardi