[mythtv-users] Re: Crazy VNC idea

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 04:51:01 UTC 2004

> > ... so I installed vnc and fired up
> > vnc on my work laptop upstairs.  Once I logged in, I brought
> > up mythfrontend, and voila!, I was running myth on my laptop
> > over VNC.  I can do everything, but I have no sound.

vnc is great for remote admin on fast networks. It's good for running
through mythsetup, but VNC doesn't support xv or sound and it's a
screenscraper, so you're going to drop a lot of frames.

If you want to view shows on your laptop, there are two reasonably
good solutions:

1) install dsmyth filters - (http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net), configure
mythtv to allow remote connections and mythweb/configconf.php to
stream vides via a myth://1.2.3.4/ like URI - use mythweb on your
laptop and stream recorded shows via the dsmyth filters - see also
winmyth (http://winmyth.sourceforge.net)

2) install linux on your laptop and install mythtv. Treat your laptop
like a mythtv frontend.

or get hacking on mythtv on cygwin and run mythtv from windows. Could
we someday see mythtv packages show up in cygwin setup?

-Ross