[mythtv-users] Sanity Check

Ian hindumagic at telus.net
Thu Oct 28 01:50:21 UTC 2004

Paul Pick wrote:

>>Case: Cooler Master ATC-620C-BX1
>>PSU: ZALMAN Noise-free 300W(PFC) ATX (version 2.03) model ZM300B-APS
>>Mother Board: Chaintech 7NIF2
>>CPU: AMD Barton XP 2800+ OEM
>>Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS6000-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler for Socket A/370 retail
>>Memory: Pqi TURBO Series Dual Channel 184-pin 512MB (2x256MB)
>>Disk: Seagate 7200rpm Ultra ATA/100 200GB (for mythtv and older 40GB
>>drive for Fedora Core 2)
>>Tuner: Hauppauge PVR 350
>>Remote: the one that comes with the PVR 350
>>

>This is very close to the system I built for mythtv. I went with the
>asus nforce2 matx and a different brands of ram and copper
>cpu cooler... but the physical dimensions are about the same. I've
>had no layout problems whatever and am very pleased with both
>the case and the performance of the system.
>
>I did tweak the case a little:
>
>1. removed all the power to the front leds. I found that they were
>    way too bright (they were nearly eye level in my setup).
>2. added filters to the inside of the case where it's perforated
>    on the sides, to cut down on dust.
>3. replaced the (noisy) rear 60mm case fan with a silent
>    version.

I have the ealier Coolermaster case: ATC-600.  I hunted for it because I
really liked how it looked compared to the 620.  Anyways, there are some
problems with this case:
- with the 7NIF2 (used that board as well), the chip socket is very
close to the PSU which limits the type of CPU heatsink that you can
use.  I couldn't fit a Zalman heatsink in there (the one that fans out -
flower? ) because the fins just wouldn't fit.  Same goes for some bulky
heatsink/fan combos.
- the fans are NOISY!  I ended up not removing the intake fans.  Also,
carved another hole next to the existing exhaust fan and the wired the 2
intake fans in series for exhaust.
- added vibration/sound dampening material to the inside of the
removable cover.

System now runs almost silent in my living room.  I think I need to
tweak the cooling slightly (using one of those zalman fan rpm
controllers to slow down the CPU fan) because the CPU will creep up to
about 60 degrees Celsius when compiling something big like QT.  MB temp
is good at about 40 degrees max.  I haven't looked into if it is
possible to control the CPU fan with this the 7NIF2 via sensors and so
on yet...