[mythtv-users] Which filesystem deletes large files the fastest?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Oct 27 16:22:44 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 06:20, Ryan Steffes wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:24:10 -0400, Brian Stults <bstults at crim.ufl.edu>
wrote:

> > > Its probably a toss up between XFS and Reiser, depending on what
> > > benchmark you are looking at.  I am using XFS, and find that deletes
> > > take almost no time at all with 2-3 Gb files.
> >
> > I used to use ReiserFS.  It was great for most things, but deleting
> > files was particularly slow.  I switched to JFS (after reading the
> > mythtv documentation - hint, hint) and it is much, much faster at
> > deleting.

All XFS here.

> Is there a good way to switch from ext3 to jfs?  Can someone point me
> toward a howto, most of what I'm finding through Google seems to be up
> to YEARS old.

Back up data, unmount partition you want to change the type of, reformat it
new format, remount the partition, restore data.

I don't think there's a non-destructive way to move from ext3 to anything
other than ext2. Most file systems do thing so radically different, you're
going to have to reformat. This is even the case if you move from Reiser 3.6
to Reiser 4.0.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com