[mythtv-users] Collaborative recommended viewing revisited...

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Wed Oct 27 16:13:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 09:19 -0500, Tim Litwiller wrote:
> Mike Benoit wrote:
>
> >I'm becoming more and more interested in getting a collaborative
> >"Recommended Viewing" feature added to MythTV.
> >
> >I tried a module that uses Bayesian filters to try and recommend new
> >shows quite some time ago, but I found it didn't work very well.
> >Personally, I think there is no substitute for other humans making the
> >recommendation themselves.
> >

> I think your idea in combination with baysian classification might work.
> or combined with a ratings module so the user could rate the show they
> just watched.
>
> It might work like this for example
>
> I watch a show when I quit or the show ends I get a screen that asks me
> to press 1 - 9 to rate the show so I press a number the next screen asks
> me to press 1 to submit my rating or 0 to go back to the recordings menu
> or if quiting before the show ended the menu that asks if you want to
> bookmark etc. - and also times out in several seconds and goes back to
> the recoding menu without submitting.
>
> this should be able to be setup to send automatically or to ask each
> time and then either que the ratings to send in a batch at the same time
> as mythfilldatabase it run or sent right away.
>
> this info combined with the schedule list would seem to me to make much
> more usefull suggestions than just what is scheduled.

This is a good idea, but it definitely won't happen in the first
version, unless I find someone willing to help.

I think the recording priority would work fairly similar to a rating
system though. Chances are any show you would rate highly would already
have a high recording priority.

I guess we'll find out, hopefully (if I'm lucky) I can have a prototype
this weekend.

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>