[mythtv-users] Collaborative recommended viewing revisited...

Christopher Flynn flynnguy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 12:14:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 03:20:42 -0400, Bill Chmura <bill at explosivo.com> wrote:
> I missed the first round of this, but what exactly is the benefit of this?
> For example, if my mythbox uploaded data it would be an compilation of my
> stuff, my gf's stuff and my 5 year old daughters stuff.
>
> So at best you could say that people who like star trek also like monk and the
> wiggles.  Maybe with profiles or something that you could get down to a
> specific person making a recording on that box or something you could get
> some good data.  Also there is a while region thing (US, Autralia, etc)

Well I probably wouldn't use this feature much myself because I
already have too much to watch but I think the idea is that if say
1000 people have star trek scheduled to record, 50 of them have
wiggles and 900 of them have The Simpsons. It would recommend the
Simpsons to the other 100 people who don't have it scheduled. However
since only about 50 have the wiggles, it wouldn't suggest that.

Of course I have found that a system like this doesn't work too well.
The reason I say this is amazon's suggestions. 9/10 I'm really not
interested in whatever amazon suggested to me that other people who
bought a item also bought.

Instead I think something like amazons in addition to (where you can
recommend another product that compliments whatever you are looking
at) might work a little better. That way I could go in and say if you
like The Simpsons, you might also like Futurama. Then have a way for
other users to vote on that recommendation. Then maybe have a
recommended menu item which scans your current scheduled recordings
and then downloads suggestions that people have submitted for those
shows.

--
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi