[mythtv-users] Collaborative recommended viewing revisited...

John Andersen jsa at video.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 27 06:22:29 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 21:11, Mike Benoit wrote:
> So to get started, naturally I want to make it as simple as possible.
> Just a script that uploads current recordings to a central database, and
> one that grabs the recommended new titles.

So, If I understand you right, anything that dwells on my drive (presumably
in some user specified directory) gets its database name, episode, etc. etc.
uploaded to this DB in the sky, and counts as a "vote" for that program?

Q1: Are we measuring quality or taste?
Q2: Does it matter?
Q3: would this include only TV recordings or also any ripped dvds and home
      movies that people happen to have?

> sufficiently unique identifier, perhaps based off a network card MAC
> address, or even some settings in MythTV that might prove to be unique
> enough.

Mac should be good enough, if it were some oneway hash, such that
no one has to worry about the knock on the door when their p0rn
collection gets indexed ;-)

--