[mythtv-users] Collaborative recommended viewing revisited...

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Wed Oct 27 05:11:22 UTC 2004

I'm becoming more and more interested in getting a collaborative
"Recommended Viewing" feature added to MythTV.

I tried a module that uses Bayesian filters to try and recommend new
shows quite some time ago, but I found it didn't work very well.
Personally, I think there is no substitute for other humans making the
recommendation themselves.

I realize this has been discussed several times in the past:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/13953?
nohighlight=1#13953

but it seems that no work has been done on it for the last year or so.

So to get started, naturally I want to make it as simple as possible.
Just a script that uploads current recordings to a central database, and
one that grabs the recommended new titles.

As my goal is to make it anonymous, simple, and easy to use, I would
prefer to gather as little information as possible from people who
choose to use it. I could require a username/password for each person to
use the system, but I think I would prefer to just generate a
sufficiently unique identifier, perhaps based off a network card MAC
address, or even some settings in MythTV that might prove to be unique
enough.

Does anyone have any other ideas for generating a unique identifier? Or
should I just go with a username/password?

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>