[mythtv-users] Netiquette (was MySQL Setup Problem [SOLVED])

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Wed Oct 27 05:04:49 UTC 2004

Quantum Scientific wrote:

> I am a mortgage investment banker.  I am *not* a MySQL admin, nor a coder.  I would like to use Myth if possible, and am struggling to do so.
>
> But if users are not welcomed, then why write it?

Good point.  Isaac actually has said in the past he doesn't really give
a rats finkle about wether other people like his stuff as long as it
works for him and his family.  He's a real charmer, but since he's the
progenitor of mythtv you figure he's earned it.

This is a problem for a lot of open source, you do it for the challenge
or some higher political goal.  It's not fair, it's not supposed to be.
  It's sort of a geek darwinism; only the informed survive.  If you
really wanted an easy to install system you should stick to Knoppmyth
and Fedora, which are much better documented than using Gentoo.  Gentoo
by it's very nature is technical, so you painted yourself into a corner
when you picked that distribution.   You are expected to learn how
things work and then ask questions.  Doing the inverse tends to get you
the sound of crickets.

Now you're giving other people grief for not heeding your wisdom.  I
suggested using '-p' and now you think you think you're the Chris
Columbus of databases.  You can't have it both ways fella.  You're
either a mortgage investment banking geek or you're not.  As many others
have pointed out, a simple google search would have revealed the answer
faster than asking.  Read The Fine Manual.  Since you're not a geek,
here's a manual for you about netiquette:

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/

I suggest you read rule 4.

Yan