[mythtv-users] Mythtv not changing cable box command line works

David Lyons djlyons1 at cox.net
Wed Oct 27 00:26:47 UTC 2004

All,

            I am finally able to control my cable box.  I have an
ACTiSYS blaster connected to my Windows box, and I am running a windows
program that is web-enabled which allows my linux box to send an http
request to the windows box thereby changing the channel (kludge I know).
Despite trying, I was unable to get the blaster to control my Cable Box
(SA3250) using lirc.

            From the command line on my mythtv box I am able to change
the channel with the below script

[mythtv at mythtv bin]$ cat /usr/local/bin/change_channel.sh
#!/bin/sh

CH=`echo $1 | sed 's/\(.\)/&+/g;s/$/enter/'`

wget -q -t 1 -O /dev/null
http://192.168.1.26:8080/irtuner.cgi?device=cable
<http://192.168.1.26:8080/irtuner.cgi?device=cable&cmd=$%7bCH%7d&passwor
d=mypassword> &cmd=${CH}&password=mypassword

            When I try to change the channel in mythfrontend I get the
following in the mythbackend.log file.

2004-10-26 19:43:18 CheckChannel failed. Please verify channel "" in the
"setup" Channel Editor.

            In mythtvsetup I have told it to use the above script, My
default channel is 35 and my starting channel is 80.

            The script works great from the command line.  If I enter
"./change_channel.sh 087" from the command line my cable box does change
to channel 87

            Can someone explain the error and how to possibly fix it?
Since the script works from the command line I think it is a
configuration problem with my mythtv setup.

Thanks