[mythtv-users] MySQL Setup Problem [SOLVED]

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Oct 26 20:19:07 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 04:00 pm, Quantum Scientific wrote:
> Look man, not to get into a big thing or anything, but after emerging MySQL
> the instructions are: ===========================================
> PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
> To do so, start the server, then issue the following commands:
> /etc/init.d/mysql start (you have to start the server first!)
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h hydra password 'new-password'
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
> See the manual for more instructions.
>
> Now, most of us have learned to follow the instructions from an emerge.
>
> And for non-Gentooers, you get these EXACT SAME instructions when you
> mysql_install_db.
>
> Why didn't you do this?

Those aren't the mythtv instructions.  What's the confusion here?  It's not
_our_ fault if you don't know how to properly tell mysql to use a password if
you specifically went out of your way and set one.  The docs even direct you
exactly where to go on mysql.com to find out about setting up a password, and
how to access the database once you've done that.

Isaac