[mythtv-users] A tad OT: ALSA and SPDIF for via82xx - alt: choice of SPDIF cards

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 15:12:15 UTC 2004

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233

> Does aplay -L list iec958 or spdif?  If not, it isn't being detected
> by the alsa drivers and enabled.

Yeah, this is the problem. Sorry, I didn't say that I tried aplay. What
happens is that I don't even get a clock at the SPDIF output pins. The
BIOS has one setting and that is to turn on AUTO for AC97.
Neither IEC958 nor SPDIF are displayed on any mixer. I found a link
(above) that mentions that SPDIF doesn't show up on the GNOME ALSA
mixer, but should on the alsamixer or amixer -- but it doesn't show up
on any of my mixers.

The link above (or another link that I can't recall) said that SPDIF is
not controlled by the mixer, it's either on or off. But, I can't find
out how... So, I think it's a lower level issue with the mobo
combination and the via82xx -- maybe it's just a via82xx problem.  If I
had a clock on the output pins, I would be happier.

brad