[mythtv-users] A tad OT: ALSA and SPDIF for via82xx - alt: choice of SPDIF cards

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 14:23:50 UTC 2004

I didn't get an answer at the alsa user's email list nor at
linux-audio-user, so I thought I'd post it hear. It's a bit OT since it
is not a mythtv problem, but does apply.
--------------

I have been trying to get a via82xx on a DFI mobo to output SPDIF. (The
reason: the analog audio on the right side is noisy.)
Anyway, I have had no luck. I brought the SPDIF pins out but I see no
clock when checking with other hardware.

If I could get this working it would mean I won't need to search for
another card. If anyone has experience with getting SPDIF working on a
via82xx I'd appreciate any help. I've visited
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233
and related links but no help so far.

-----
Besides that: Can anyone recommend a card where SPDIF is a breeze to set
up on alsa?
I have a Cardeluxe (which works great in Win2k) and a Delta-66 in other
machines. I haven't revisited the drivers to see if alsa Delta-66 SPDIF
drivers are working yet. However, I don't want to spend too much $$$ on
this new card (It's for mythtv).

Any recommendations for a SPDIF card is much appreciated!

thanks!