[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with FX5200 TV-Out

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Tue Oct 26 04:15:37 UTC 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 19:25, Dan Lanciani wrote:
> I had tried a Radeon initially, but I was not able to get useful operation
> even on the VGA screen.  (It would work for a few seconds and then start
> stuttering.)  I tried a variety of drivers including ATI's own (which made
> glxgears run very fast, but ran X out of resources for Myth).  I wasn't
> thrilled with its TV-Out performance under Windows in any case.

I tried a Radeon 9000 way back when, hooked only to a monitor. It was pretty
pathetic for me also. Each of the three drivers (radeon, fglrx and gatos) had
their own (mostly different) problems displaying one or the other of 1080i
and 720p content... I buy nothing but nVidia nowadays.

> |> There is something funny going on with aspect ratios and/or scaling.
> |>  Most of the ATSC programming here is really 4:3 presented in 16:9
> |> format with black bars on the sides.  When I display this on the normal
> |> VGA monitor in default 16:9 mode I see it letter boxed as expected such
> |> that the 4:3 image
> |> is centered with black bars on all four sides.  If I use the W command
> |> to select 16:9 Zoom mode I get approximately the right result with the
> |> 4:3 picture full-screen.
> |
> | That does sound like the expected behavior...
> |
> |> When I display in default 16:9 format on the TV I see the 4:3 image
> |> against
> |> the right side side of the screen with black on the left, top, and
> |> bottom. (In spite of this, selecting 16:9 Zoom mode again does the right
> |> thing.)
> |
> |> If I had real 16:9 material I think I would be missing a chunk on the
> |> right. Thoughts?
> |
> | ..but that definitely doesn't...
>
> Good, at least my understanding of what is expected seems on target. :)

:-)

> |Do you have any real 16:9 material you =
> |can verify that with?
>
> They show widescreen programs sometimes, but not, it seems, whenever I have
> time to play with Myth. :(

So how 'bout scheduling a recording of one of them, then play that back. :-p

> However, I'm pretty sure they are sending a
> 16:9 stream, as confirmed by the DTC-100 (and for that matter Myth on the
> VGA). I have the DTC-100 set to crop, which seems about the same as Myth's
> 16:9 Zoom. By the way, what is 4:3 Zoom exactly?

I can't for the life of me keep straight which one is which without looking at
them... I want to say that's the one for taking 4:3 broadcasts that are
letterboxed and zoom them out so that the picture fits perfectly on a 16:9
TV.

> |> Of course, none of this matters much if I can't get rid=20
> |> of the motion artifacts...
> |
> |Definitely try the deint filters.
>
> You know, I just though what else the artifacts remind me of.  Remember in
> the bad old days when contention for the video memory caused "checking"
> unless you synchronized CPU access with the VBI?  They look a bit like
> that.  It couldn't be something that simple, could it?

I don't think so, but I really don't have a clue. I don't believe Myth is
trying to do any VBI processing with pcHDTV source material just yet...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...