[mythtv-users] changing channels

mark fairlane at springcom.com
Mon Oct 25 22:48:06 UTC 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 04:44 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > I encountered a similar error within MythTV. The source of my problem was
> > that I have a second tuner card (bttv based) which was loaded last, and
> > it's tuner settings screwed up the other card's tuner settings.
> >
> > I haven't figured out how to solve this yet, but for now I just don't
> > load the tuner information for the second card.
>
> From the ivtv ML, I know you're using the 0.2.0rc series, sschaefer, so to
> specify autodetection, just use a tuner type of -1.  For example, since
> your PVR-350 is loaded first, you would use the options:
>
> options tuner type=-1,<bttv tuner type>
>
> Or, even better, most of the recent v4l drivers (including both ivtv and
> bttv) allow you to specify the tuner type as an option to the driver (as a
> matter of fact, specifying options to the tuner module is deprecated), so
> you can use
>
> options bttv tuner=<bttv tuner type>
>
> and it won't affect the ivtv tuner type.  This is the preferred approach.
>
> The only time anyone should need to use a -1 to specify autodetect is if
> he/she is using ivtv with PVR-x50's and M179's.  Since the M179's don't
> have autodetection support, the options line would be:
>
> options ivtv tuner=-1,<M179 tuner type>
>
> (assuming your PVR-x50 is the first card).
>
> Mike

Is there a good primer somewhere on how to set up modprobe with multiple
cards?  I have a BTTV and a PVR250, the bttv is detecting first, and changes
channels fine, and the PVR250, I can't change channels at all.  I've tried all
the usual stuff, like permissions on /dev/video*, etc.  But I'm not entirely
sure that the tuner is configured correctly.

Mark