[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Oct 25 21:42:03 UTC 2004

On Monday 25 October 2004 14:07, John Patrick Poet wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 25 October 2004 12:49, Preston Crow wrote:
> > > * Auto-switching of video modes to match source (1080i vs. 720p
> > > primarily)
> >
> > I wish my TV supported 720p... This is just an xrandr thing. Enable
> > "separate modes for playback and UI", set your UI mode (540p mode highly
> > recommended over 1080i mode for readability) and your default mode, then
> > set overrides for other content. I have 880x480 as my UI mode, 1760x960
> > as my default playback mode, then an override for 720x480 content to
> > display in 880x480. If I could actually do 720p, I'd have an override for
> > that matching 1280x720 content. Of course, you must also have all these
> > modes defined in your X config file and validated when the X server
> > starts up.
>
> If you are *not* compiling Myth up yourself, then the "separate modes for
> playback and UI" mode is not available.

That depends on which pre-compiled packages you're using. I don't recall if
distro was mentioned, but the RH/FC packages from ATrpms all come with xrandr
support enabled now.

> Xrandr does not work well with all window managers.  For example, forget
> about using it with ratpoison.  It works pretty well with KDE, WindowMaker
> and Window Manger Improved.  I personally use Window Manager Improved:

KDE here.

> When using xrandr, make sure the *first* show you watch after starting up
> X/Myth invokes the highest resolution desired.  After that everything works
> quite well.  If the first show you watch invokes a lower resolution, when
> you do need a higher resolution, it will sometimes mask off part of the
> screen.  I occationally think I have found a solution to this problem, but
> then it happens again...oh well.

Ah, I was wondering how the hell I'd done that on a few occasions myself...
Good to know. (Now I vaguely recall seeing something about it in the
past...). My only other problem is that occasionally, when dumping out of a
high-def stream (xrandr'd to a 1080i mode) and flipping back to the GUI (in a
540p mode), the left edge of the UI starts in the middle of the TV and wraps
around to the other side, but is rather dark and blurry/jagged, or something
like that. I think someone just submitted a patch for that today though...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...