[mythtv-users] unable to play MPEG recordings

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 25 15:25:32 UTC 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 12:30, Alan Murrell wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 01:36 -0700, nate s wrote:
> > can you play them using mplayer?  (AFAIK mythtv uses mplayer to
> > play videos not recorded by it.)
>
> Thank you for the suggestion, Nate.  I think I have found the source
> of the problem:

I think you're almost right -- you have a Duron, which *is* an x86 CPU
("x86" refers to the processor architecture, not the actual model or
manufacturer).  The problem seems to be that mplayer was compiled for
SSE support, which only Durons with the Morgan core (1GHz - 1.5GHz)
have.  You most likely have a Duron Spitfire (600MHz - 950MHz).  You
could still use an AMD chip, but it would have to be at least a Duron
(Morgan) or Athlon XP (any chip that supports 3DNow! Professional,
which is the same as SSE).  Also, any Intel processor from the Celeron/
P-III on up.

-JAC