mythtv scripts Re: [mythtv-users] mythtranscode results in 15GB files

Shawn core at enodev.com
Mon Oct 25 13:40:33 UTC 2004

For every problem with myth I've had, I write a perl script which allows
me to sidestep the issue. I'm just not successful getting backtraces
much of the timefor whatever reason...

I've had crashes, partial recordings, and transcoder glitches which I've
worked around. If you have need for any of these, let me know and I'll
try and get them release ready.

Crashes
        mythbackend is simply monitored by a script
        that /etc/init.d/mythbacked restarts, if needed and the frontend
        runs in a loop. I have another script I can call upon shutting
        those things down without the monitor script restarting them.
Partial, or lost recordings:
        I have swatch monitor mythtv upon the mythbackend.log saying a
        recording started checks to see the recording has an entry in
        the DB and that the file is growing. I think sometimes mysqld
        gets mucked and doesn't commit rows. I then kickstart the
        recording by restarting mysql and myth. I really don't know what
        happens next as I've never been watching when it happens. All I
        know is that I no longer have this problem.
Transcoder glitches
        I wrote a perl script that checks the sanity of all nuv files
        and recordings table entries by making sure the size of the .tmp
        file isn't bigger than it's .nuv, checking that all nuvs have DB
        entries and vice versa. Oh shit! It deletes recordings it
        doesn't see in the DB... I have to comment that out in case
        login fails! Glad I thought of that before it happened...