[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sat Oct 23 06:38:29 UTC 2004

On Saturday 23 October 2004 02:11 am, Dan Lanciani wrote:
> "jack" <jr at jrh.net> wrote:
> |While mythtv is fairly general it does actually store encoder specific
> | cards like the pvrXXX series and the pchdtv cards in their native format.
> | Ie, the *.nuv files are actually just mpg or ts files respectively with a
> | nuv suffix.
>
> Right, I got that.  And I think it is the correct approach since it
> preserves maximum information.  However, I somehow had the idea that it
> would transcode and scale as necessary near the output.  (In my defense,
> there is a lot of code in MythTV proper and a rather large number of
> libraries.  It isn't immediately obvious that it doesn't do this. :)

If you tell it to transcode, it will.  It won't be realtime, though.

> |There is no way the PVR350 is going to play a pchdtv atsc stream.
>
> Sure, if it could I could just copy from /dev/dtv to /dev/video17.  A few
> little scripts to make recordings and I wouldn't need MythTV at all... :)

No, there isn't.  The decoder on the -350 isn't capable of decoding hdtv - it
can't handle anything more than 480i (or standard pal), and it can't decode
ac-3 audio - and will ignore anything but the first audio stream, so if
that's the ac3 stream (which is standard), you won't get any audio at all.

Isaac