[mythtv-users] Mysql problems - won't start

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Sat Oct 23 03:47:48 UTC 2004

Fresh install of Slackware 10.  The normal mysql ended problem upon startup,
that I assumed was fixed with the mysql_install command as described in lots
of troubleshooting info on the web.

I compiled myth, then went to setup mysql, and ran this command:

mysql -u root < mc.sql

which failed and gave this:

ERROR 2002:  Can't connect to local MYSQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock'  (2)

So I figured mysql wasn't running.  So I rebooted, and got the same thing.  So
I read some more information, and tried starting mysql manually with this
command:

/usr/bin/mysqld_safe &

which thinks for a few seconds then ends again.

I don't know what else to try.  anyone have any ideas on this problem?