[mythtv-users] Dish Network and Dual Tuners/Receivers

mark fairlane at springcom.com
Fri Oct 22 23:17:40 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 05:08 am, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> mark wrote:
> >>
> >>Not true. Dish uses one and only one code for their 301 receivers. The RF
> >>transmitters used on some of the top end units are settable but not the
> >> IR flavor.
> >
> >How then, was I able to reset the codes on my 4700 to another codeset
> >so that I could change channels one one box and not another?  Its' right
> > in the Dish network manual that came with my box!  Perhaps they got rid
> > of that method in the 301 and later?
>
> Meant to post this a while back, but got distracted by a hurricane and
> forgot about it afterwards...
>
> Anyway, the IR remote codesets are used for *both* the RF and IR signals
> sent to the Dish network receivers.  I just finished (actually, just
> finished after this message was sent :) setting up a second Dish
> receiver and successfully changed the remote codesets and have a
> home-built LIRC "improved transmitter" sending signals to both receivers
> without interference.
>
> I currently have a Dish 4922 and a Dish 311 receiver (the 311 is the
> for-purchase version of the 301 that Dish leases to customers).  I have
> been able to use remote codesets 1, 6, and 9 with either receiver.  The
> 4922 has RF and IR support while the 311 is IR only.
>
> I'm currently working on creating a good lircd.conf which provides a
> definition for all 16 codesets, but it will probably take a bit of time
> (I'm going to be doing a lot of travel over the next two months).  There
> is a definite pattern to the codesets, but I haven't yet figured it
> out--it would be easier if I had one more even-numbered codeset working...
>
> Mike

Mike, I'd be interested in seeing your config files for this.  I will be
moving my second dish reciever to the same location as the main rcvr,
and running a single lirc instance, so I'll need to do something similar.
I currently have a 4900, and a 1000 feeding into a backend/frontend
with a separate frontend for the bedroom.