[mythtv-users] Replacing my VCR with MythTV and a Celeron 550

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Oct 22 16:33:42 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 08:57, Eric Medlin wrote:
> I have a Celeron 366 overclocked to 550 on an old Abit BM6 motherboard with
> 196megs of ram.  I also have an ATI 8500 for TV out, Diamond mx300(aureal
> 2) sound card, and two 40gig harddrives for storage.  I plan to compile
> gentoo from scratch to get all the speed I can.  My main rig a P4 2.4 will
> help in compiling so I can finish before next year.  My main question is
> can I use a bttv card to record video at or higher than VHS quality with
> this computer.  I don't need live TV.  I just want to record something and
> then later play it back.

Note that a PIII/733 barely keeps up w/a single 480x480 mpeg4 capture on bttv
card, and that's with the benefit of sse, which your celery doesn't have. You
might be able to do RTjpeg or a really low resolution and bitrate mpeg4.

Search the mailing list archives for more information on this topic, its been
covered several times already. There's a link to the searchable version in my
sig.

> I know a PVR-250 or something would be better,
> but I am trying to save money.

This card is really worth the money, especially with such a low-end system.

> If it workes and I really like it I may get
> a PVR-150 later when it works with linux and mythtv.

These will be even more worth the money, once they work, but I don't know how
long it'll be until they do.

> P.S.  I posted this yesterday, but it never showed up on the mailing list
> archive webpage, so I don't think it went through.  If it gets posted twice
> I am sorry.  This is my first time using a mailing list.  I normally use
> forums or news groups.  Is there a good forum for mythtv?

There are a few forums out there with MythTV themes, but no official one. I
don't use any of them myself, maybe someone else can point you in their
direction. You can also search the mailing list archive for that info, this
has also been hashed over every few months on this list.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...