[mythtv-users] Replacing my VCR with MythTV and a Celeron 550

Eric Medlin emedlin at myrealbox.com
Fri Oct 22 15:57:48 UTC 2004

I have a Celeron 366 overclocked to 550 on an old Abit BM6 motherboard with 196megs of ram.  I also have an ATI 8500 for TV out, Diamond mx300(aureal 2) sound card, and two 40gig harddrives for storage.  I plan to compile gentoo from scratch to get all the speed I can.  My main rig a P4 2.4 will help in compiling so I can finish before next year.  My main question is can I use a bttv card to record video at or higher than VHS quality with this computer.  I don't need live TV.  I just want to record something and then later play it back.  I know a PVR-250 or something would be better, but I am trying to save money.  If it workes and I really like it I may get a PVR-150 later when it works with linux and mythtv.

P.S.  I posted this yesterday, but it never showed up on the mailing list archive webpage, so I don't think it went through.  If it gets posted twice I am sorry.  This is my first time using a mailing list.  I normally use forums or news groups.  Is there a good forum for mythtv?