[mythtv-users] Re: X runs at 90-95%CPU

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 21 19:37:09 UTC 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 09:21, Alan Anderson wrote:
>  >Uh, according to who? I ran a 3200+ on my 7NIF2 while using the onboard
>  >graphics for ages before moving it to another board, no problems to speak
>  >of... The only limitation of using the onboard graphics that I know of is
>  >you
>  >can't run your memory in dual-channel mode, which is pretty
>  > >inconsequential for Myth (might make a bit of difference for HDTV, not
>  > sure). Perhaps you've
>  >had a flakey board from the get-go.
>
> You are correct useing DDR400 requires you to disable the on-board vga.
> While I had a DDR400 I only had one so its still single channel.
>
> I believe the MB is flakey from the get go.  But I need to go through the
> steps the mail order company is dictating.  When I first got the MB linux
> would hang on boot kernel oops in various subsystems.  I disabled quick
> self test in the bios and the power up memory test would hang on the first
> pass.  If I underclocked to 166MHZ then it passed and booted just fine.
> The mail order tech support says this can not happen since they carefully
> run a burn in test before shipping the upgrade (guess that does not include
> the long bios memory test).

Methinks the mail-order company is full of crap... :-)

> Hopefully I'll be able to test the chaintech
> mb this weekend, the replacement memory is somewhere between Memphis and
> Denver right now.

Ew, Memphis... Lived there for two years, absolutely hated it... Big hub for
packages though, since FedEx is based there.

> Some day I would like to put a HD tuner card in the mythtv.  And a AMD
> 2700+ and the via KT400 MB isnt gonna cut it, a 3200+ would be better.

The 2700 might be right on the edge of functional, but yeah, a 3200 would
definitely be better (and a P4 3.0GHz even better still). I have no problems
(after a bit of an initial struggle) with my 3200, 400MHz FSB, 512K cache,
dual-channel DDR-400 RAM, GeForce FX 5200 system, which usually sits around
70% cpu utilization when playing back HDTV content, but that goes up a bit
when running commercial flagging on a recording or using one of the deint
filters. With a few filters enabled, (since I do still watch some
standard-def stuff and don't want to muck with filters every time), I'm now
seeing frequent 85% cpu usage.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com