[mythtv-users] Frontend hangs and loses conneciton to backend

Buchanan, Paul (West) Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com
Thu Oct 21 17:52:22 UTC 2004

On Thursday, October 21, 2004 12:38 PM, mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:21:01 -0400, Thatcher Ulrich <tu at tulrich.com>
> wrote:
>> On Oct 20, 2004 at 07:17 -0400, Jon Kunze wrote:
>>

>>> This problem just started recently, and possibly started after I
>>> upgraded to the ivtv 107zz drivers.
>>>
>>> It seems that after my myth box has been up and running for a few
>>> hours, and I try to delete a recording after i'm finished watching,
>>> the frontend hangs for about 30 secones after I select the delete
>>> confirmation. About 30 seconds later, the message comes up that the
>>> front end has lost contact with the back end. The only thing I've
>>> found to remedy this problem, is to reboot the system. This has made
>>> using myth quitte troublesome. Can anyone guide me inthe right
>>> direction to find out what is causing this problem? Is there a log
>>> file that will help? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have
>>> also noticed that the system sometimes locks up when I go to the
>>> status page in mythweb.
>>>
>>> The system I'm using is a frontend/backend combo with 2 pvr-250s
>>> installed running Fedora Core 2, from Jarod's guide.
>>
>> Also check your free disk space.  I saw something like this recently
>> and it turned out my disk was full.  I had to delete some video
>> files manually.
>>
>> --
>> Thatcher Ulrich
>> http://tulrich.com

> I'm currently sitting about about 87g/140g so I know it's not that. I
> dont think it's ever gone over 100g. I may just break down and wipe it
> clean and try a fresh install.

Top posting re-arranged

I am having the same issue.  My system was humming along quite nicely for a few weeks, then the backend started hanging after recordings finsished, and or after commerial flagging.  The frontend will loose its connection when trying to delete, look at upcomming recordings, etc.  I have suspected a disk space issue, but I have around 5 gig free at all times (i think).  I will try freeing up some more to see if thats it though.

The only thing I am seeing in logs is

IOBound Blocking in Thread::Write() (or close to that at least)

Which I suppose could be caused by a full disk...  Are there others out there that are seeing this behavior?

Paul