[mythtv-users] Re: X runs at 90-95%CPU

Alan Anderson andersonas at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 21 16:21:51 UTC 2004

 >Uh, according to who? I ran a 3200+ on my 7NIF2 while using the onboard
 >graphics for ages before moving it to another board, no problems to speak
 >of... The only limitation of using the onboard graphics that I know of is
 >you
 >can't run your memory in dual-channel mode, which is pretty >inconsequential
 >for Myth (might make a bit of difference for HDTV, not sure). Perhaps
 >you've
 >had a flakey board from the get-go.

You are correct useing DDR400 requires you to disable the on-board vga.
While I had a DDR400 I only had one so its still single channel.

I believe the MB is flakey from the get go.  But I need to go through the
steps the mail order company is dictating.  When I first got the MB linux
would hang on boot kernel oops in various subsystems.  I disabled quick
self test in the bios and the power up memory test would hang on the first
pass.  If I underclocked to 166MHZ then it passed and booted just fine.
The mail order tech support says this can not happen since they carefully
run a burn in test before shipping the upgrade (guess that does not include
the long bios memory test).  The memory was in slot DDR1 I moved it to DDR3
and could run the power up test ok at 200MHZ.  The system was less flakey
but still unuseable in the long run.  Then later the memory failed the
memtest86+ diagnostic.

The mandrake system is running kernel 2.4.25-9 and I believe all the nvidia
patches and has apic enabled.  Hopefully I'll be able to test the chaintech
mb this weekend, the replacement memory is somewhere between Memphis and
Denver right now.

 >You do know that Axel already has packages with those patches available
so >you
 >don't have to compile your own kernel, yes?
No but I do now.  So I'll add it to my todo list  thanks

Some day I would like to put a HD tuner card in the mythtv.  And a AMD
2700+ and the via KT400 MB isnt gonna cut it, a 3200+ would be better.

--
Alan Anderson
andersonas at adelphia.net
Linux is user friendly.
Its just real picky about who its friends are.