[mythtv-users] Dual Output on Frontend - questions and ideas

Blammo [doh] blammo.doh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 07:20:38 UTC 2004

Setup:
Front end in the living-room, with AGP 5200Ultra hooked via
VGA-Componant to the WideScreen TV. Output is 950x540p. Love it.
Beautiful. StreamZap USB & remote.

Problem:
Wife wants to be able to go back to the bedroom and watch TV back on
the 27" non-16:9 TV in the back

What I've Tried:
I've gotten dual-view to work, but the fact the VGA is running a res
the SVGA/Composite out can't properly handle, it sqeezes the VGA to
800x600 or 640x480 and I lose all 16:9 on the TV in the livingroom.

I'm not worried about sound, already have that covered. It's the TV
aspect that's killing me.

(Btw, I already have a video + IR repeater setup running from the LR
to the BR we used with our TiVo)

What I wonder:
-- Could I get X to treat them differently? Maybe two copies of X and
two Mythfrontends?
-- Would a 2nd video card (PCI) resolve the "scaling" issue?
-- Wouldn't the same remote control both copies however? I think I
have an Actisys IR-200 laying around somewhere.
-- Could I get one copy of Mythfrontend to use StreamZap and the other
using the Actisys?

How is anyone else handling this kind of issue? or did you just buy a
little VIA board and tape it to the bottom of the TV? (grin)

Thanks in advance.