[mythtv-users] Re: Wife Acceptance Factor question: dealing with crashes

Michael J. Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Wed Oct 20 22:57:38 UTC 2004

> I have a script that I use to kill and restart mythfrontend whenever a
> button is pushed on the remote. It works like a charm. Just put it
> in your .lircrc file and use irexec to execute the script.
>
> Here's the script:
>
> MYTHEXISTS=`/bin/ps -e | grep mythfrontend | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`;
>
> if [ "$MYTHEXISTS" != "" ]; then
> for MYTHPROCESS in `/bin/ps -e | grep mythfrontend | grep -v
> grep | awk '{print $1}'`
> do
> echo $MYTHPROCESS;
> kill -9 $MYTHPROCESS;
> done
> fi
>
> /usr/bin/mythfrontend &

Ok, now this is just getting ridiculous.  How are new users going to
start to use and love MythTV when all you do is mock them when they
report problems?   There is a better way to deal with new users and
the fact that they don't include a backtrace, etc.

All the effort you took to write up that junk could have been directed
at a meaningful post on how to capture traces using gdb, or a simple
direction to read the section of the docs that covers it.