[mythtv-users] Straighten me out here?

j2 spamfilter2 at mupp.net
Wed Oct 20 21:20:24 UTC 2004

> But I would consider more hard disk, or plan on adding more as this one
> starts to fill up.
> You'll use up 60 GB pretty quickly once you really get into recording and
> ripping.

True, but i do have a 900GB system in my closet, and a gigabit link. So my
plan was "Record -> Encode -> move to server (or burn off)"

> More ram wouldn't hurt either. I understand that 256 MB is enough, but
> I've never done
> an installation with less than 512 (just 'cuz), so YMMV. I'm sure others
> will respond "I
> only have 256, and it runs fine." Still others are going to say "I could
> never get it to run in
> 256."

Well, RAM is cheap, but since i _have_ that 2.4 system...

> I think you can get away without a VGA card, but I don't personally use
> the PVR-350, so
> others can give you a better answer to that one. My MythBox drives a CRT
> projector, so
> I use the VGA output on an nVidia VGA card.

I suppose a VGA card is a nice thing to have if the box starts to missbehave
tho..

> 1. KnoppMyth is surely the easiest, almost trivial, assuming all your
> hardware is well
> behaved.

I have missed something, where to find?

> 2. An installation on Fedora Core 1 or Fedora Core 2 is next easiest if
> you use Jarod's
> guide, because he walks you through the installation step-by-step.

Yeah, i found that too.. Rather impressive writeup if you ask me.

Thanks for the feedback!